Synopsis: Frank is a hapless paranormal investigator. When his attempt to capture a skeletal horse goes haywire, a terminally ill teen named Garth gets caught in the crossfire and is accidentally sent to the afterlife! There, Garth meets his estranged grandfather, who enlists him in the struggle against the wicked Vaugner, who rules Ghostopolis through deceit and repression. Is Garth stuck in the afterlife forever, or can Frank return him safely to the land of the living and make up with the lovely Claire Voyant in the process?
Themes: Death, personal growth
Content Advisory: Potty humor, mildly scary images (nothing a 10-year-old can’t handle)
1. According to this book, what happens to you after you die?
2. Some of the characters you meet in Ghostopolis are familiar from other stories and some are completely original. Which secondary character do you find the most interesting and why?
3. A reviewer said of Ghostopolis, "Characters experience personal growth and learn lessons about themselves throughout the course of this book." What lesson did a character learn?
4. What is the significance of Garth’s interaction with the elderly man on page 256? How does that experience complete Garth’s story?
5. Does the story end happily for Frank?